Apr. 18th, 1989
Riverside, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Alia Shawkat's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Runaways
2009 - Amreeka
2009 - Whip It
2006 - Deck the Halls
2005 - Rebound
1999 - Three Kings
Guest TV Roles
Young Hannah Rayburn
The Screenwriting Manicurist
Success arrived early for Alia Shawkat. Her career began at the young age of 11 when she landed a role on the ABC Family series "State of Grace" (2001). She later starred as "Maeby Funke" on Fox's Emmy-award winning "Arrested Development" (2003) where she portrayed a rebellious and mischievous member of a dysfunctional Orange County family trying to adjust to their loss of wealth.
Alia was introduced to show business by appearing in a Calvin Klein catalog, which immediately attracted the attention of commercial and theatrical agents in Hollywood. She soon landed a role opposite George Clooney in Three Kings (1999). This was followed by a supporting lead in the Ron Perlman' movie The Trial of Old Drum (2000) (TV).
But it was "State of Grace" (2001) that catapulted her into the forefront of young actresses. She has also had guest-starring roles on "JAG" (1995), "Without a Trace" (2002), "Boomtown" (2002) and "Presidio Med" (2002) and she recently starred opposite Martin Lawrence (I) in Rebound (2005).
At 16 years old, when she was not filming, Alia attended a private school near her home in Rancho Mirage where she was able to continue her studies in English, Physics, Math, Geography and Drama. Her ambition is eventually to attend Yale University studying International Relations.
In her free time, Alia enjoys horseback riding, ice-skating and dancing. She is an accomplished pianist and speaks several languages. She currently splits her time between her home and Rancho Mirage and Los Angeles where she resides with her parents and her two brothers.
- Her maternal grandparents are actor 'Paul Burke (I)' (qv) of _Valley of the Dolls (1967)_ (qv) fame and former dancer Peggy Pryor.
- Of Iraqi heritage on her father's side and Irish-Norwegian on her mother's side.
- Her great-grandfather, 'Martin Burke (I)' (qv), was a boxer who fought 'Gene Tunney' (qv) and sparred with 'Jack Dempsey (I)' (qv). Later, he and his wife owned a string of nightclubs in the New Orleans French Quarter.
- She spends her time in both Los Angeles and her hometown of Palm Springs with her parents, two brothers, and her pet cat Max.
- Her great-great-grandfather, Martin P. Burke, was a New Orleans policeman in 1898.