- This was Billy Crudup's film debut.
- Devon Sawa was offered the role of Young Michael Sullivan, but passed because he was in production with Wild America.
- Kevin Bacon never actually met his co-stars Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman during the production because of the logistics of the shoot.
- Author Lorenzo Carcaterra has claimed that his book on which the film is based was a true story of his childhood. When the New York legal community went on record stating that no cases resembling the events of his book could be found in any court records, Carcaterra refused to discuss the discrepancy. His claims have been neither proven or disproven.
- DIRTRADE(Barry Levinson): Ralph Tabakin (Warden) has appeared in every Levinson picture from Diner to Liberty Heights.
- The code name "Edmund" that is used in the paper to notify Micheal that he needed to contact Shakes is the name of the main character, Edmund Dantes, from "The Count of Monte Cristo".