- Several members of the leading cast did actually attend university together. Stephen Fry, Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, and Tony Slattery met when they were members of the Cambridge Footlights Amateur Dramatic Club.
- Peter has an Apple Macintosh computer, but does not own a TV. Stephen Fry was the second person in the UK to purchase a Mac, after Douglas Adams bought the first two.
- Rita Rudner wrote the screenplay in just five days.
- Phyllida Law, who plays Vera the housekeeper in the movie, is Emma Thompson's mother.
- If you notice, the entire opening scene before the credits (which includes the dance, the backstage banter, and the final picture) was done in one take that lasts four minutes.
- Rita Rudner co-wrote the movie with her husband, Martin Bergman (II).
- This is the first film where Imelda Staunton and Emma Thompson work together. They later work together in Much Ado About Nothing, Sense and Sensibility, and in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.