One Crazy Summer
- Squid Calamari (George's little sister) speaks only one word of dialog in the entire movie - when she yells "Bosco!!" after her dog is kicked by Mr. Beckersted.
- The film is sometimes described as "'Better Off Dead... (1985)' Goes To The Beach", as it shares the same star (John Cusack) and the same director (Savage Steve Holland), and is also about an aspiring cartoonist.
- Savage Steve Holland did the animation for the film. He was upset Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert roasted his earlier John Cusack film, Better Off Dead... (1985). Two bunnies that get blown up at the end of the movie bear a strong (and not accidental) resemblance to the movie critics.
- The name Hoops McCann was taken from a character in the 1980 Steely Dan song "Glamour Profession."
- When Calamari picks up two women at the dance, the strawberry blonde on the right is director Savage Steve Holland's sister, whose childhood nickname was Squid and is the basis for the little girl in the film, also named Squid.
- "Ack-Ack" is a military nickname for anti-aircraft artillery.