- Glenbard West High School was used to shoot most of the exterior scenes. The high school's administration agreed to allow Glenbard West to be part of the film only after 20th Century Fox agreed to modify the film so that the original "R" rating was changed to the more family-friendly "PG".
- Gary Cole's line is dubbed over with another actor's voice.
- Filmed in 1985, but not released until 1986.
- This is Winona Ryder's debut film.
- The chorus featured in the rehearsal scene was the Viking Choir from Homewood-Flossmoor High School in Flossmoor, Illinois, though the picture was filmed at Glenbard West High School in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. There was an additional scene that was cut of the chorus performing in the outdoor amphitheater and featuring an original song written for the film, "Learning How to Love", also cut.