Dan in Real Life
- Largely based on co-writer Pierce Gardner's personal experiences on years going to summer vacations at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware with his wife's extended family.
- The movie was filmed in an actual house in Rhode Island, where the cast spent a great deal of time bonding and rehearsing before filming began.
- In one scene, Marie can be seen wearing a sweatshirt which says "Oak Park" on the front. John Mahoney has lived in Oak Park, IL for many years.
- In Poland, the film was not only released two years after its world premiere, but also the title was changed completely ("Ja cie kocham a ty z nim" - roughly "I love and you are with him") in order to be similar to another movie, namely "While You Were Sleeping" ("Ja cie kocham a ty spisz").
- The name of the central family in this film is Burns, just as in Peter Hedges (II) previous directorial effort Pieces of April.
- The duet that Frank Wood and his wife perform in the family talent show is "La ci darem la mano" from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "Don Giovanni". The duet is a seduction scene in which Don Giovanni convinces Zerlina to leave her fiancé.
- SPOILER: Peter Hedges (II)' son, Lucas Hedges, has a cameo dancing with Dan's youngest daughter, Lilly, at the wedding.